Wow – it’s been a whirl-wind month with #BlogJune and trying to write every day and catch up on the 60 odd people who are participating too! Thank you very much to @flexnib for organizing it again this year; it’s a great challenge and discipline to write every day.
But one part I feel I have missed out on this month is the commenting; engaging in conversation with those bloggers who have made me think, made me smile, made me go ‘ah-ah’, or who inspired me. I think this tweet this morning sums it up perfectly:
— Teresa Bennett (@kalgrl) June 27, 2013
I agree with Teresa; one of the great things about #BlogJune is having all these great posts to read from a great community. But it’s equally important to join the conversation.
I posed a question in an earlier post (actually before #BlogJune) – Why is it so hard to comment? People gave some really interesting responses in the comments, and following a twitter conversation with @c_hocking, we decided to challenge ourselves to do #CommentJuly. This involves going back to blog posts – starting with the ones from #BlogJune – and commenting on one each day.
I outlined my #CommentJuly rules in an earlier blog post and just summarized them here:
- I will comment on someone else’s blog post that inspires me each week day in July.
- 31 days in July, but only 23 week days = 23 posts.
- I’m away for a whole week in July (without access to WiFi) so will either have to pre-schedule 5 or 6 posts or drop the number of my posts from 23 to 17 or 18. Still working on this…
- I will comment on only ONE blog post from each person.
- In addition to commenting on this blog post, I will write a post about it on my blog.
This will include a link to their post and some commentary on what I appreciate about their blog. If possible, I will re-blog it on my blog but appreciate this might not work with all blogging platforms.
- Because 23 posts from 23 bloggers is not all that many (and there are heaps of fantastic bloggers out there), I might have to introduce a regular blogging feature and give a shout-out to a blogger once a week. Maybe #BloggerFriday???
I now wonder if my rules are a bit ambitious, and might modify them (a la @juliaderuiter) to just do a wrap up post at the end of the week with the 5 posts I have commented on and share the posts I’ve commented on on Twitter daily.
- Fill in Catherine’s form if you’re interested in being part of the #CommentJuly community
- Julia’s #CommentJuly rules
So are you keen to join us? I’d love to hear what your plan is for #CommentJuly – make up your own rules or modify ours…
Come and join the conversation!